Beauty News - Beauty
How to: Master matte makeup
Minimal and modern, satin-finished skin is the perfect beauty match to the winter season. Think fresh and finished – not a retro, chalk covered ‘matte’ finish.
So for now, you can forget mastering the art of highlighter, and focus on complexion perfection. We turned to our on-call beauty guru Bonnie Gillies from OZ Beauty Expert for a few tips on how to perfect the matte look. Bonnie worked a flawless matte look using ModelCo products on Australian beauty Samantha Harris.
“Matte makeup is currently a BIG thing, and nothing screams sexy sophistication more than warm matte earthy tones. Previously thought to be somewhat dull and dated, matte make-up is definitely back with a vengeance. This type of matte make-up has a radiant glowing quality that isn’t shimmery or shiny just a muted ‘glow from within’ look.”
TIPS FOR PERFECTING MATTE MAKE-UP
1. Make sure the skin is well hydrated before applying makeup, this will add to radiance and a healthy glow underneath.
During winter, try adding a few drops of ModelCo Rosehip Oil to your moisturiser to amp up the hydration and leave skin super supple and prepped for makeup to follow.
2. Use a liquid illuminator over the entire face before or mixed with foundation, this will create the ‘glow from within’ quality.
Try ModelCo Luminosity Shimmer Whip underneath your foundation for a soft, golden finish.
3. Apply a dusting of matte bronzer down the sides of the face and across the brow, nose and jawline to add warmth to your look.
Bonnie used ModelCo Bronze in Matte to define and contour Sam’s beauty look.
4. Finish your base with a matte translucent powder to set makeup and dust away any excess shine.
Dust ModelCo Mineral Power Natural Foundation around the nose, across the middle of the forehead, and lightly under the eyes to lock makeup into place without caking
5. Opt for pigment rich eyeshadow with zero shimmer. Aim to combine three warm brown shades – light, mid and deep – and be sure to have at least three eyeshadow brushes to blend properly.
Bonnie used ModelCo Eyeshadow Trio in Arabian Nights to shade and define the eye area.
6. Choose a peach or pink blush which has zero shimmer and adds a warm rosy glow to the face.
ModelCo Blush in Cosmopolitan is our cult best-seller for good reason. A sweep of this across the apples of the cheeks leaves a natural looking, flushed glow.
7. Use a creamy lip liner to define the lips followed by a creamy matte lipstick that is comfortable to wear.
ModelCo Illusion Lip Liner will help outline, define and add fullness to the lips without competing with your lip colour. Bonnie used ModelCo Party Proof lipstick in Get Naked on model Sam Harris during the shoot.
Photography: Thom Kerr
Styling: Lydia-Jane Saunders
Beauty: Bonnie Gillies @ Oz Beauty Expert using ModelCo Cosmetics
Hair: Iggy using Kerastase
Styling Assistance: Kathryn Blom
Model: Samantha Harris @ Chic